Sunday, March 1, 2009

2009 UAH Spring 10K Road Race

2009 UAH Spring 10K Road Race
Huntsville, AL
March 1, 2009
Official Results



Mile 1: From the start, there was a tail wind into the horseshoe and then into the wind for the second half of the horseshoe. I went out hard, chasing Josh (Whitehead) and Matthew (Brick). With the tailwind, I looked down and I was running in the high 4's for the first 1/4 mile. I knew that I couldn't hold this pace, but I wanted to put a little breathing room behind me and make a mild statement of my intent to run fast today. Around the first corner, Jason (Reneau) caught up and ran just off my shoulder. The first mile always feels so easy in a 10k and in this case it did as we clocked a fast split.

Split: 5:31.09

Mile 2: The first six tenths of the mile was into a very strong headwind. There was a slight dip under the bridge with minor hill to follow on the way out to the cone turn around. Jason and I continued to run together, pushing as hard as we could into the wind. He didn't want the lead into the wind, which was smart. I did test the waters a few times by slowing down and he would come out and around to the side and then we would stride together again. I made a tight turn around the cone, while Jason took it wide. We could see how close Donald (Bowman) and David (Purinton) were to us. After the turn, I tried to crank up the pace, using the tail wind to my advantage as much as possible, being a tall runner, letting it hit my broad shoulders. The one time an out and back course is nice is seeing other runners again and hearing their encouraging words.

Split: 5:54.95

Mile 3: The first half mile was still with the wind at our backs and then through the turn back to the start. After coming around the horseshoe, there was a slight uphill back to the wellness center. Jason and I continued to run together with him just off my right shoulder. He pulled ahead a few times but I would pick up the pace and we would be tight again quickly. I swung my arms mightily up the hill into the wind. We made the cone turn around at the 5k mark at 18 minutes flat. Far from the 5:40 pace I had planned on running, until the wicked winds began to blow.

Split: 5:48.83

I took the cone turn and tried to drop Jason out of the gate, again using the tail wind as much as I could. It was very difficult to get back to top speed coming off the wind/hill, but I you don't get many chances to make a move in a short race like this. I was a little surprised that we were still together. I couldn't tell with the conditions if I was running well, if Jason was struggling or not racing full speed, or a little bit of both. The 4th mile was the same as the 1st mile; half with tail wind and half with head wind. Josh and Matthew were so far ahead (more than 60 seconds at the turn) that I couldn't really seem them anymore around the bend. I couldn't tell where Jason was, as we was no longer off my shoulder, but I had to assume that he was right on me. If I slowed at all, I knew he would capitalize and sweep past me. The second half of this mile was very difficult as the headwinds picked up. At one point it did not feel like I was moving at all.

Split: 5:58.17

The 5th mile was similar to the 2nd mile, with a slightly longer push into the headwind. I was now running alone across the western part of the UAH campus, with no protection from the wind. I struggled more than any other mile of the race, but I pushed as hard as I could. When I made the cone turn around, I noticed that it was even too cold for the course marshall, who now sat in his car until I got close. I made the turn and it felt like a weight had been lifted off my back, literally. I picked up the pace, but the split was still the slowest of the day. This was the first time since the 5k turn that I saw how close the other runners were to me. Coming off of the slow cone turn around, they seemed much closer than I had hoped.

Split: 6:17.90

The 6th mile was mostly with the wind at my back and then into the horseshoe turn again. I tried to muster whatever I had left to build the lead up on the rest of the pack. The leaders weren't going to come back to me and I didn't have enough to go get them either. I felt pretty strong coming back across the pack for the final time, again hearing words of encouragement that motivated me to run strong. After making the final corner, I wanted to look back to make sure that no one was there to sprint ahead, but I opted not to. I was running with everything that I had to begin with, so I would not have been able to withstand a strong final kick had Jason or Donald have been right with me.

Split: 5:45.08

The final 0.214 of a mile was uphill and into the wind. I was trying to keep my form into the wind, and use a strong arm swing to pull up my knees a little higher to finish strong. I was gasping for air slightly now, as I ran hard through the finish line. After taking a few steps and trying to catch my breathe, I was able to look back and see Donald, then Jason finish behind me.

Split: 1:16:38

Ironically the time of my last 0.214 of a mile in mm:ss:ms is the same as my half marathon PR in hh:mm:ss. I finished 3rd overall behind Matthew and Josh and was the top HTC open male finisher. There were 154 total runners, which was pretty good for the foul weather. My total time was 36:32.40, with an average pace of 5:47 minute/miles but the effort felt closer to 5:30.

Afterward, I had several people tell me that despite the conditions, that every time they saw me, that I looked strong. One person even mentioned that it didn't look like I was working at all. I laughed a little, because I was working pretty hard, but I have the innate ability to make it appear as if I am not; controlled breathing, good form, etc. Maybe it is a little mental edge that I have, showing the competition that I am running easy, even though inside the pistons are really firing pretty hard.

Overall I feel decent about this race. I am just now starting to hit my stride on the track and working on my speed. It should all come together in time for Boston. This race was just a week off of Black Warrior 50k too, so I am sure that I am not fully recovered from that event. This race was one about position, and not about time, and for that I am pleased.

PLACE NAME AGE/SEX TIME PACE
=============================
01 Matthew Brick, 19 34:10/5:30
02 Josh Whitehead, 30 34:17/5:31
03 Eric Charette, 33 36:32/5:53
04 Donald Bowman, 41 36:59/5:58
05 Jason Reneau, 32 37:10/5:59
06 David Purinton, 41 37:27/6:02
07 Greg Reynolds, 26 38:11/6:09
08 Jon Elmore, 43 39:35/6:23
09 Candace Jacobs, 28F 39:43/6:24
10 Erik Debolt, 26 40:35/6:32