Friday, March 27, 2009

2009 McKay Hollow Madness Trail Half Marathon - Night Before


2009 McKay Hollow Madness Trail Half Marathon

I love the night before a big race. It is an amazing rush of nervousness and excitement all wrapped up inside me and I can barely contain it. I've done all of my pre-race preparation, including thinking about my race plan, reviewing the course map and started to develop mental imagery that I will focus on during the race. I am sure that you are at home doing the exact same thing right now, to varying degrees of intensity.

This is the very reason why the night before the night before is so important for rest; I will try to sleep, but I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve. I can't wait until tomorrow because I am rested, recovered and ready to fly on the flats, drop the hammer on the downhills and shine on the climbs.

Get some good rest and let the fires burn tomorrow on the trails. Get aggressive, push harder than you normally do. After all, what do you have to lose? Maybe this is the day that you have that break-through performance that makes you wonder what you are capable of. Treat this like it's your day and you own the course and the competition. The world is yours for the taking. Will you capture this moment or let it slip away? You know what I will do.

"Feet fail me not cause maybe the only opportunity that I got."