Friday, April 10, 2020

My Mark Grace Rookie Card Collection



I started playing baseball when I was 9 years old with a single year of tee-ball before moving into 3 years of little league.  The ball field was less than a mile from our house in Kingsford, MI and I would ride my bike there just about every day.  LoDal Field would be my summer home not only for the three years I played for First National Bank (FNB) but then graduating up to Babe Ruth in 1989.

Other than being right handed, I was built to play first base.  I was tall and had a long reach, could hit for average and power, but had no speed.  I almost always batted cleanup in the lineup and my later years I was hitting well over 400.  So naturally as a Cubs fan, Mark Grace quickly took over the role of my favorite player, while Ryne Sandberg remained close behind.  I could watch Grace and his sweet swing all day long!

At age 13 in 1988. I was in the prime of my baseball card collecting ages which started in 1986 and extended to 1991.  I loved the 1988 Donruss rated rookies and I was buying wax packs almost every day on the way home from school at Billy's corner store.  So now as an adult getting back into card collecting, I am glad to announce that I plan to build a PSA 10 set of these Mark Grace cards.  This will likely take me the rest of the year, but it will be a fun adventure!

Update December 5, 2020:  Entire major league set completed!  I have submitted the 1988 Peoria Chiefs Team Issue #11 to PSA and should see that come back in mid 2021.

Major League Card Checklist