Monday, May 21, 2012

Coming to an end

Seven wins over a span of 36 days.

Barring a miracle at Cotton Row, my consecutive wins streak looks like it will come to an end at seven.

My training philosophy has always been to do today what my competition won't, so I can do tomorrow what my competition can't.  During this span, I logged 19 quality workouts with typical weeks featuring two VO2max track sessions, hill work and a tempo run before racing on the weekend.  Maybe others don't need this many quality sessions, but it was the recipe for me to find some early season speed and success on the roads and trails.

Now I understand the context of this streak and also my place in the grand scheme of running.  Please don't take this as boasting or bragging of anything significant; it really is just an obscure accomplishment that might not be a big deal to some runners.  That said, it may never happen to me again and considering the work that went into this streak, I am humbled and proud of the accomplishment and thankful for the ability to compete.

Race 1: NCAC Flash Mile - 5:00.11
April 14, 2012 against a field of 31 in Huntsville, AL
Coming off of hard races in the weeks prior (25km at McKay Hollow and half marathon at Oak Barrel, I gave this 6-turn hilly road course everything I had and just barely missed breaking the 5 minute mark against a very small field.

Race 2: Norway Spring Classic 10km - 36:33
April 21, 2012 in Norway, MI against a field of 82
On a very challenging hill course, I was able to take an early lead and hold off the rest of the field by more than 90 seconds and in the process, post the fastest winning time since 2003.

Race 3: Swampers 5km - 17:08 
April 28, 2012 in Muscle Shoals, AL against a field of 502
In the first challenge of the streak, I took the lead pack through 4km before finally pulling away late to post my fastest time of the young season against a large field of more than 500 runners.  

Race 4: Swampers Mile - 5:16
April 28, 2012 in Muscle Shoals, AL against a field of 197
After running the 5km less than an hour earlier, I ran the mile taking it out hard in 2:28 through 800m before slowing late after taking the lead and feeling the impact of the 5km in my tired legs.

Race 5: Spring Zing 5km - 17:16
May 5, 2012 in Huntsville, AL against a field of 69
Returning to this race after winning the inaugural event back in 2010, I fell behind early, chasing the leader through a sub 5:20 first mile before finally pulling ahead and and holding off second place by just 8 seconds.

Race 6: Twisted Ankle Trail Half Marathon - 1:38:39
May 12, 2012 in Summerville, GA against a field of 114
In what may have been my best effort of the streak, I ran with the marathon leader for the first few miles, fell behind, then made an enormous push on the hill climb and screamed downhill in the last 5km to catch the leader before the split and finish the race more than 17 minutes ahead of second place and set the new course record.

Race 7: PCRA 5km - 17:08
May 19, 2012 in Priceville, AL against a field of 154
In a what seemed like deja vu, I fell behind early when a younger runner pulled a 5:15 first mile, then slowed late, allowing me to remain steady, take the lead by the half way mark and hold on for the overall win.