Saturday, October 8, 2011

A Year Later

I had just run past the aid station before mile 5 near Monte Sano Elementary of the Fleet Feet 15km.  I was pacing along at 5:45 min/miles when suddenly I just lost the will to run.  I calmly stopped and walked off the course and started to make my way back to the park.  I was going through some very difficult times in my personal life leading into the race and emotionally I had no business racing.  It was one of my worst days ever.

That was one year ago today.

Now a year later, what I thought was one of my worst days ever, turned out to be one of my best days ever.  It was the first day of the rest of my life and the last year has been more amazing than the previous thirty-four.  I am no longer the same person I was last year, having grown spiritually to where running no longer runs my life.  I still enjoy it, but it has its place and time further down the list where it should be.

So when I ran past the aid station this morning averaging the same 5:45 pace, I did not stop; I did not walk off the course.  I felt a little devine breeze which made me smile and I managed to stayed strong for the second half of the race.

On a challenging couse around Panorama, I was able to set a personal record of 54:59.87.  I am very proud of my effort not only with the time, but that I put to rest any thoughts of last year.  I didn't win the race today but I did have an amazing emotional victory.

I continue to feel blessed that I have been given this great opportunity to turn my life around.  I owe much to the people around me that have been there through the good and bad times.  I feel like I am on the right road, but far from complete.  God is not done with me yet and I trust in his plan.

While the personal record feels great I know that the glory of this day is all His.