Saturday, May 8, 2010

Alabama Pinhoti Trail FKT

This week was historic as the FKT (Fastest Known Time) was set on the Pinhoti National Recreation Trail. This 325 mile trail is comprised of a 175 mile section in Alabama from Flagg Mountain to the AL/GA state line and another 150 miles in Georgia from the border to the Benton MacKaye Trail, which is a connector to the Appalachian Trail.

Hampered by blistered and bruised feet, I was not able to achieve my 'A' goal of the entire trail, but did nail my 'B' goal which was a fast time on the Alabama Pinhoti Trail. In the end, I covered the distance in 4 days 5 hours 39 minutes and 12 seconds. This is the 2nd fastest time on this trail section ever recorded, behind Rob Youngren whom I started the adventure with and had set the fastest time the day before.

Overall it was a great experienced and I am very proud of my effort as I stuck with it over the last 2 days when I could barely stand up at the start of each morning. I had a great crew and my pacers helped push me well beyond my limits. I have to keep remembering that I ran my first 50 miler last November at MMTR and my first hundred miler came in the initial 38 hours of this adventure run.

I am already looking for my next BHAG ultra-distance adventure run while my feet heal up. Thanks to inov-8 and Fleet Feet Sports Huntsville for encouraging me to chase my dreams, even if they seem just out of reach.