Saturday, April 4, 2009

2009 Scholarship Fund Run 8k


2009 Scholarship Fund Run 8k
Huntsville, AL
April 4, 2009
Official Results

In arriving on a plane from rural Iowa at late on Friday night, I had no time to really think about this race. The extent of my race planning was to look at my splits from 2008, lower them all by about 10 seconds per mile based on my current fitness level and write them 'old-school' on my left inner forearm in red permanent marker.

I sort of look at the 2008 8k race as my 'coming-out' party where I really stepped up my game and started to compete toward the top of the leader board, as opposed to the age-grouper that I had been before. I ran 29:21 last year on this hilly course in perfect temperatures. While this doesn't seem overwhelmingly fast to me know (I went 28:01 for 5 miles at Lake Antoine Classic four months later), at the time this was a personal record and placed me 4th overall behind Jason Reneau, Donald Bowman and David Purinton. This race doesn't draw much younger talent, as it is after the spring track season begins, which limits the number of races that they can compete in. Either way, this race in 2008 marked the beginning of a very good streak of road races for me that culminated in personal records at every distance from 5k to the marathon. So despite the miserable two loop course with a two-tiered hill combination of Adams then Eustis on mile 3, I look back at this race fondly.

2008 Splits
Mile 1: 5:54
Mile 2: 5:45
Mile 3: 6:00
Mile 4: 5:54
Mile 5: 5:44 (0.97 miles for 8k)

2009 Goal Splits
Mile 1: 5:45
Mile 2: 5:35
Mile 3: 5:50
Mile 4: 5:45
Mile 5: 5:35 (0.97 miles for 8k)

Since the Monte Sano 15k last fall, it seems like every road race in this area has been completely stacked with last minute talent. As of Wednesday, I only saw a few fast names on the list, but by the time we toed the line, just about every fast runner in town out of college was there. It scares me to see such a competitive field, but it also compels me to push that much harder knowing who is in front of me or just on my tail. Plus it makes the reward that much sweeter when the competition is that much better.

The weather was much warmer than I prefer for a road race. Had we started this race at seven or eight am (don't get me started on this) it would have been perfect conditions. With the 9:00 am start, the temperatures had soared into the low 60's which meant the times would be slightly slower than normal. It also meant that I was racing sans singlet. I seem to get really hot when racing, so I don't mind to race without a shirt, but it does mean pinning my bib number on my shorts which I am not crazy about in non trail races.

From the start, Josh took off at his usual sub 5 minute-mile pace leaving us in the dust. He comes back to the field eventually, but he does like to run all out from the start. As we crossed Lowe, it was Donald, David, George and myself running in a close second. The first climb up Adams is a tough one, but since it is so early and the adrenaline is flowing and the legs are fresh, I pushed up the hill pretty hard. By the top of the hill, I had put enough of a surge on to create some separation and move into second behind Josh.

It felt great to make the turn from Adams and stretch my legs out for a second with some longer strides. This was short lived as we made the turn onto Eustis and started to climb again. George pulled even and we begin to run together, with me on the inside for the next few turns. We ran the first mile in 5:30, which was much faster than I wanted to be (5:45 goal for the mile) but I was committed already, so I locked it in and kept going. I later wondered if I had started slower, how much energy would I have had to make a late push and pass.

George stayed close to me as we came down Randolph. I love to race down Randolph as the road is in good shape with newer blacktop, making it a little springy and it is slightly downhill toward the square, so I can usually open things up. I kept putting moves on George, by striding out and making a gap, but his short legs kept their quick turnover and he would quickly close again. We passed the court house and down Madison and the two mile mark in 5:31, putting us at 11:01 through two miles.

I had tried to peak a little as we turned around the town square, and it looked like Donald was not too far back, but I did not see Jason. This race was important for quite a few reasons, including the prize money and the potential for 85 or 100 HTC Gran Prix points in the open Male division. I've made it no secret that I want to win the Gran Prix and think that it is possible if I can earn more than 900 points and David Riddle does not compete in 10 events (as we would earn 100 points for each victory, giving him 1000 points and make him unbeatable).

Coming through the aid station on Madison, I took water, which is not normal for me. I had been fighting dry mouth the whole race, due to my lack of proper hydration lately and was having a difficult time breathing or swallowing. I took a few sips, then a few strides then a few more sips to dampen my throat. This cost me a few steps and George pulled away, although without it, I could not have continued on at that pace.

We made the turn onto Lowe back toward the Adams. This is a five lane road and it is possible to run the tangents (how the course is measured and certified) and not waste time or energy. I had mapped the course previously so I had it in mind to run the tangents through here, while George ran near the sidewalk on the north side of the road. I certainly was not cheating, but I made up significant time on him here.

We turned up Adams again, and I heard a few shouts from the crowd, which I think was fellow Fleet Feet Racing teammates Joey Butler, Linda Scavarda and Greg Reynolds. I didn't go all out climbing up Adams, but shifted to a sustainable pace where I could focus on my breathing. I wasn't struggling at all, but as planned, this mile is just slower than the others. I came through at 5:53, which was only one second slower than my goal.

We turned onto Eustis and made the final climb of the race. I kept my form in check with good arm swing and powered up the hill, checking to my left on Donald as we turned onto White Street. I recovered quickly and opened up my stride again and immediately got back to race pace as we made the turns from Clinton to Randolph again. I was rejoicing in the fact that we would soon be done! I came through mile four in 5:50. This was slightly slower than I had hoped, but I was fine with it, knowing that I was doing what I needed to in order to maintain my position. Clearly Josh and George were not coming back to me and I wasn't going to close on them either, so now it was a battle for 3rd place and running against the clock. I was in no way settling for 3rd, but I also am a realist.

The funny moment of the race was when I ran passed the children's museum and heard a police officer comment to someone 'that is the last time we are going to see him' about me as I passed. They could tell the first lappers from the second lappers based on pace, but it just struck me as funny. Maybe they said this as every runner passed by to help lift their spirits. Either way, it was enough of comic relief that I temporarily forgot about the fatigue in my calves.

I increased the intensity coming down Madison, trying to narrow the gap on George and have a strong finish. I was really working hard now as there was less than a 1/2 mile to go. I again ran the tangents on Lowe and turned onto Adams toward the finish. I gave a quick peek around made sure that I wasn't going to get out sprinted at the finish line and pushed ahead. In the last mile I told myself that if I could run 5:45 pace, that it would force Donald or anyone else behind me to run 5:30 or better to catch me. If they could pull that off, then they deserved to be in the top 3.

I ran the last 0.97 miles in 5:43 and finished with a time of 28:27 and was 3rd overall. I staggered for a few steps to catch my breathe before getting some more fluids.

I virtually took no rest before heading back out on the course to cheer for other runners and help them with encouragement. I went back out several times and eventually ended up running with two very nice girls from Madison to the finish. We made small talk as I tried to help them with encouraging words all the way to the end. They were very appreciative which is nice, but not the reason why I do it. I just like to help others out any way I can, but especially when it comes to hitting their goals in races.

I feel bad for poor Mark Ullom. He must be thinking what can he do? This race was stacked with plenty of fast guys and all of them were 30 and over! Does this qualify as the new 'Old Man's Race of Huntsville?' At least Mark has young 24 year old legs and maybe will surpass us all someday.

Results
01 Josh Whitehead, 30 - 26:48
02 George Dewitt, 50 - 28:03
03 Eric Charette, 33 - 28:27
04 Donald Bowman, 41 - 28:45
05 Jason Reneau, 33 - 28:59
06 David Purinton, 41 - 29:00
07 Marty Clarke, 47 - 29:22
08 Shane O'Neill, 36 - 29:54
09 Mark Ullom, 24 - 29:58
10 Dink Taylor, 43 - 30:08

2009 Goal Splits vs Actual Splits
Mile 1: 5:45 - 5:30 (actual)
Mile 2: 5:35 - 5:31 (actual)
Mile 3: 5:50 - 5:53 (actual)
Mile 4: 5:45 - 5:51 (actual)
Mile 5: 5:35 (0.97 miles for 8k) - 5:43 (actual)

Looking at the goal times vs the actual times is interesting because my actual times from 2009 very very similar to 2008. The difference was in the first two miles were I blew away both last year and my goal times. In hindsight maybe I could have gone 5:45, 5:35 and then had more gas in the tank late in the race, but I would have had to make up 19 seconds that way and I am not sure it is possible for me on this course. Plus running further back in the pack might change the outcome with other runners pushing harder knowing that they are closer to the front. I won't question it though, because it is what it is and that is 3rd place and a cash prize of $25. Especially on a competitive day where nearly the entire top 10 went under 30 minutes.

Twas a good day.