Sunday, April 1, 2018

Top 20 Cereals of the Last 40 Years

I have been eating cereal for breakfast since 1978.  Often times I will eat it for lunch and on occasion it also serves as dinner and late night snack.  I consider myself a connoisseur of crunch; a guru of grains; an aficionado of Apple Jacks.  Back of the napkin math estimates are that I have eaten well over 10,000 bowls of cereal.

So it is with that expertise that I created this list of the top 20 cereals of the last 40 years. Sadly some of these cereals have been discontinued so if you never had the chance to try C3PO's cereal, you are just out of luck.

20. Cap'n Crunch

During winter quarter of my sophomore year of college, I ate only with the Cap'n for 3 meals a day in the DHH cafeteria.  This was 1996 before "All Berries" existed so I had to manually pick out the yellow pieces so I could only eat the crunch berries.  True story.



19. Cocoa Puffs

While not the best chocoloatey cereal of all time, the Puff has a great crunch and does make me coo-coo.  Sadly the remaining milk in the bowl is too chocoloatey for it to rank any higher.



18. Kaboom

I will admit that some cereals appearing on this list get a boost from sheer nostalgia and number 18 is a perfect example of this.  A fond recollection of Saturday morning cartoons fueled with cereal makes me smile and I would like to think that Kaboom was part of that.  When I was too little to lift the gallon of milk, my mom would pour a glass of milk for me and leave it in the refrigerator on Friday night.  Then I would have milk for my cereal in the morning.



17. Crispix

Not all great cereals are on the bottom shelf in the grocery store, where they draw the attention of kids.  Sometimes you have to look up and there you will find Crispix.  Yes I will add two spoonfuls of sugar, but that is my own cross to bear.  To make this list, Crispix doesn't need the multiple flavors like Chex from General Mills.  It is everything you need all in one box.



16.  Cookie Crisp

I love chocolate chip cookies.  I love cereal.  So when you bring these two things together it is a marriage made in heaven.  Add in the fact that back in the mid 1980's Ralston also included baseball cards in boxes of Cookie Crisp and you have a winner.



Stay tuned for part two in which I will reveal the next five best cereals of the last 40 years as we work our way toward the top 10....