Saturday, April 7, 2018

Top 20 Cereals of the Last 40 Years: Part Two

I know that for the last week you have been on the edge of your seat eagerly awaiting the continuation of the top 20 cereals of the last 40 years.  You've not been able to sleep.  And when you do, you find yourself dreaming of sugary cereal floating in icy cold milk waiting to be eaten by the spoonful.

15. Honey Nut Cheerios

Though I have been known to be seduced by sprinkles or marshmallows, sometimes simplicity is just as tasty.  Honey Nut Cheerios don't offer 15 pieces of flair but pack a powerful punch with every bite.  When combined with milk, they tend to glue together like sticky rice turning it into a challenge of how many cheerios you can fit into your mouth at one time.  General Mills has had extra base hits with spin offs such as apple cinnamon and banana flavors, but for me it is the original that hits a home run that makes my list.



14. Zucaritas

Normally breakfast south of the border is best when you wrap anything in a tortilla shell as the milk tends to be warm and I question if it came from cow, a goat or other farm animal.  But if you can find Zucaritas, you have found sugary gold in a bowl better than Coronado's Seven Cities of Gold.  This Mexican knock off puts Frosted Flakes to shame since it doesn't have to follow all of the US regulations that make it healthy.  Tony le Tigre awaits!



13. Cinnamon Toast Crunch

I typically deploy a different technique when eating Cinnamon Toast Crunch for several reasons.  Instead of pouring my normal serving size in a monster bowl, I choose the smaller bowl with less milk.  Then I dive in and eat quickly making a slobbery mess because this cereal is only good while still crunchy.  If it gets soggy for some reason, I will let Fiina the beagle have a special treat.  Plus the milk afterward has a shimmery film that I really want no part of.  Milk should be thirst quenching to wash down the sugar just consumed, not make me wonder what exactly I am drinking.  And yes I drink right from the bowl.



12. Coco Wheats

Growing up it was a special treat to have COCO WHEATS and toasts.  Dunking warm buttery toast into the hot chocolate porridge brings back so many fond memories of my childhood.  In Upper Michigan, hot cereal was a staple of breakfast on cold winter days.  Depending on how much milk was added, this stuff could be as think as concrete.  It would stick to your ribs for a day of building a fort in the snow that your dad shoveled off the roof.  Recently I found a reseller on Amazon that sent me a three-pack that I have been enjoying ever since.  This marks the only hot cereal to make the list.



11.  Sugar Crisp

Just like Jefferson Airplane had numerous name changes, so has the number 11 on our list.  Call it Sugar Crisp, Super Sugar Crisp or Golden Crisp.  In any case, you have magic in a bowl.  Golden Crisp is preferred over the Kellog's Honey Smacks version in every category, including the mascot.  Would you rather eat cereal endorsed by a bear wearing turtle neck or a frog wearing a backward cap? 



Stay tuned for part three in which I will break into the top 10!