Sunday, January 1, 2017

Don’t call it a comeback

I admit that this is long over due, but I finally have decided that I can no longer fight my health issues and continue to push my body beyond its limits with running.

I have been living with an incurable virus attacking my vocal cords for well over two years. I am the 1 in 100,000 people who have this rare condition. It is not going away with our current treatment and surgery routine. My doctors want to take an even more aggressive approach and I am ALL IN on the treatment. The side effects are a bit frightening, but should be manageable.

I would like to be able to have a normal life again. This means being able to talk, be in loud places and be heard, and not be afraid or self conscious to be in social environments. I can't keep having surgery every six weeks and losing my voice in between. My livelihood is dependent upon my ability to speak and I want that normalcy back again.

So it’s time to develop a new strategy, which includes many lifestyle changes and reduction of stressors on my body. I have fought as hard as I could and by no means am I giving up, I just realize that something has to change. As such, I am temporarily stepping away from competitive running. Running fast or far is just something that I do and while it has become a part of me, it is not who I am.

I don't like ever being selfish, but my health and my family need to come first right now and I need to focus 100% of my efforts on those things. My wife Rachel has been my strength when I was weak, and my voice when I couldn't speak. It is with her support that we tackle this next step in our lives together. She truly is an angel to me.

I don't know how long I will be away from competitive running, or if I will ever be able to to return. But rest assured that if I do, it will be the greatest comeback of all time.