Monday, November 17, 2014

Donut King

Some races you try to run your fastest.  Some races you run to win.  This race you run and try to not throw up on your shoes.

Back in 2011, coming off of running 2:54 at the New York Marathon, I decided to run the Krispy Kreme Challenge for fun and see how I would stack up versus the competition.  Being a skinny guy, people probably underestimated my ability to eat.  I managed to set the course record in 28:53 and had a sub six-minute donut eating split.

In 2012 the Challenge did not work out well for my running schedule, but I was back in 2013 and was able to win again, albeit with a slower time of just under 30 minutes.

This year I was very concerned about my ability to eat quickly, given that I had vocal cord surgery a few weeks prior.  I wasn't fully cleared to eat gluttonously that would be required for the Krispy Kreme Challenge, but I wanted to give it my best shot to defend my title.

I warmed up with my prime (running) competition, David Wall, who was a sub 2:30 marathon just a few years ago.  He had some setbacks with injuries, but was healthy again and running very well.  I knew that I would probably give away 30 seconds in the first 2-mile running segment.  Then there was David Rawlings, former Donut Champion from 2010, who is a great eater and can run fast enough to pose a threat.  Beyond the "Davids," there is always a chance that an unknown runner or high schooler would show up and run well.

With the temps in the upper 20's, I was doing my final warm up sprints out and back from the start to stay warm.  I was watching the clock as it ticked down to the 8:00am start.  With about 3 minutes on the clock, I heard the emcee start a ten-second countdown to the start. I rushed to the start and ducked under the starting banner just in time for the gun to go off.

The pack was out fast, but I settled into my goal pace quickly which helped me to move up to near the front before the first mile split.  By the time we turned onto Church Street, I had moved into 2nd place behind David (Wall).  The weather was perfect to run fast and I was able to turn into the Krispy Kreme parking lot in at under 5:45 pace.  I had only given up 30 seconds to David (Wall) and now it was time to eat!

I grabbed my box and a cup of water and moved over to the Huntsville Utilities Transformer, using it as a table for my donuts, to eliminate having to bend over to grab a donut and free up my hands to eat.

I can't give away my eating strategy, but if you were there you could easily figure it out.  I could tell that David (Wall) was struggling to eat his donuts, but David (Rawlings) was quickly making up the difference he lost in running by his supreme eating prowess.  The eating is such chaos with sugar flying everywhere.  I struggled this year with my eating, but still had a sub 8-minute split.


Photo courtesy of Jacob Bright

I finished my last donut and got a sticker indicating that "I met the challenge."  I tossed my box into the air and took off running.  People were yelling as I took off and then I realized that I the sticker did not stick and I had to double back to get it.  Unfortunately, when I came to a stop, I slipped on a donut and fell down hard.  I cut up my elbow and cracked my head pretty good on the pavement.  Luckily, it was cold enough that I was wearing a winter hat that softened the blow.  The fall gave me a little rush of adrenaline, along with being the first eater to head back out on the run back.


Photo courtesy of James Hurley

Last year I was able to hold just under six-minute pace on the way back so I thought that I would be happy with that, but knowing that the competition was much better this year, I probably had to run 5:45 to hold them off.  I love seeing all of the runners heading out to eat as they cheer while I am running back to the finish!

I was surprised that I felt comfortable at 5:45 pace but I love running in the cooler temperatures so I just focused on the lead cop car heading back to the finish.  When I got to Monroe, I could hear the dread train... luckily I was already across the tracks so it would pass behind me but I didn't know how it would impact the rest of the pack.  I didn't see anyone behind me on glance, so I knew that I would not have to worry about anyone closing the gap in the last mile, but it may make the race for second place very interesting.

My watch was a little messed up so I wasn't quite sure of my overall time until I saw the clock at the finish.  I crossed the line at 30:38 and managed my third win in three attempts at the Krispy Kreme Challenge.

I  mentioned it in my AL.com interview with John Corrigan, but I will mention it again here.  While I love the (Krispy Kreme) challenge, for me it really is about supporting the cause.  United Cerebral Palsy of Huntsville does great things for people who have disabilities and any way I can help bring attention to their cause is the least that I can do.  While it is nice to be crowned winner for another year, I just like to have fun with this event and  I even break out a running singlet from my hometown Kingsford Flivvers for the race, even though I didn't start running until I was 28 years old.

The battle for second was decided by train! David Rawlings left out of the parking lot in second, but when stopped by the train, David Wall was able to close the gap. Some people complain about the train crossing as it is unpredictable; I actually enjoy it because it adds an element of adventure.  Here are the top three.

Official Results



The award this year for overall winner was very "fitting."

Photo courtesy of David Rawlings

Photo Courtesy of Katie Beth Peirson

Now I have another year to think about defending my title and going for number 4 (wins) or if I should retire on top, as Donut King.