Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Why do I wear LIVESTRONG?

Why do I wear a LIVESTRONG bracelet on my right wrist? As a reminder to remember.

For the last 2500 days (6 years, 10 months) I have worn a yellow silicone gel bracelet on my right wrist. While the reason I first put it on and the reasons I continue to wear it have changed, what has not changed is the fact that it has never been taken off; not once. That is an amazing piece of endurance silicone! Let’s take a look at what it has meant to me over the years.

The earliest documented proof that I can find in photos of having it on my wrist was at the Fox Cities 5km in Menasha, WI on September 26, 2004. Just a month prior at the Cheese Head and Disco 5km in Hilbert Wisconsin it doesn’t show in the pictures, so I will declare 9/26 as day 1.


The bracelet was part of the "Wear Yellow Live Strong" educational program intended to raise money for cancer research, raise cancer awareness, and encourage people to live life to the fullest. Selling for $1 each, the initial plan was to raise $25.1 million for the Lance Armstrong Foundation. The goal was reached within 6 months, and there have now been 80 million LIVESTRONG bracelets sold to date. The band became a popular fashion item in the United States by the end of the summer of 2004. Lance and his popularity were peaking as he was in the middle of his 7 victories at the Tour de France and whether you like him or not, he took that fame and turned it into some beneficial with the foundation. Everyone was wearing yellow and I will admit that the first time I put it on was just to be cool.

After the popularity of the bracelet had faded, I was tempted to take it off. They were still being worn by some athletes and people who had gone through personal loss as a result of cancer; neither of which I thought applied to me (as I had not taken my first step as a runner.) Or had it? Back in 2001 I was living in Neenah, Wisconsin and life was going along pretty well. Meanwhile, a hundred miles away in my hometown of Kingsford, Michigan, my Uncle Donald Charette was diagnosed with cancer. Though I always called him my uncle, he was actually my cousin, as he was my dad’s older brother’s son. He had kids older that were older than me and was nearly my dad’s age so I always called him Uncle Donald. While we didn’t have a day to day relationship, every fall when the leaves would change colors, the entire Charette clan would be at our hunting camps and spend most weekends together. I have many fond memories of him throughout the many cold Novembers in Upper Michigan. That summer he had been in the middle of remodeling his camp and while the weather seemed hotter than normal, he had been losing weight. He didn’t think much of it, but it turned out to be a side effect of the cancer that had taken over his body, which would quickly take his life. His funeral was more somber than others I had been to as everyone liked my Uncle Donald and was sadden how his life was taken so abruptly. It was at that time, that I dedicated my LIVESTRONG bracelet to his memory. Anytime I would look at my right wrist it would be what I needed to remember his contagious smile and think about his memory. While this probably should have been the reason why I put it on in the first place, at least it now had personal meaning to me.

Fast forward to the early summer months of 2009. Lance had retired from cycling and I had gone on to run 17 marathons and ultramarathons, all wearing LIVESTRONG. The most memorable of which was my first Boston marathon in which I was able to finish with my parents in the crowd. The memory of my uncle Donald had somewhat faded and the yellow band on my wrist wasn’t really reminding me of anything. I was so engulfed in my own quest for running greatness that I had turned off the rest of the world. Then unexpectedly I was reminded of the harshness of our world when my childhood friend Scott Giuliani lost his long battle with cancer. Growing up in Kingsford, Scott was becoming a great multi-sport athlete and I was just an uncoordinated geek who tagged along, but Scott was one of the good guys who stood by me. Though our paths diverged later in life, I always admired him and his strength right up until and through his passing.

Then just days later in an ironic twist of life, my Dad’s best friend Dave Lavarnway had a heart attack and died. Dave had a unique perspective on life but was very honest and would always say it like it was and he commanded my respect. Without a second thought, I drove the 900 miles back home so that I could see Scott’s parents and tell them what Scott had meant to me and then to attend Dave’s funeral in support for my dad. It was a very difficult few days but their deaths again brought new meaning to the LIVESTRONG bracelet. After that week, anytime that I looked down or saw it show up in pictures, I was reminded of the unfairness of life and that we should take every opportunity we have to live it to its fullest as you never know if today might be your last day. I am sure that the loved ones Scott and Dave left behind would give anything to have just one more day to spend with them.

Then just as it had before, the memory of these two faded and I was no longer reminded daily of the impact they had on my life. I was back to my selfish ways but to a much more destructive level that eventually lead to my divorce in 2010. Running and other self-centered activities had become my false idols and I was spiraling out of control. As I have written recently (Turning my Life around on the Trap Hills Traverse and Receiving God’s Grace) I was able to turn my life around this year. Through the caring support of my family, friends and loved ones, I have been born anew. It has been an eye opening experience and my faith continues to grow every day. Whereas the days when I was putting myself above all else are gone, I realize that they are not that far behind me. I am not perfect and despite having changed my life, I still struggle everyday with the addictions and behaviors that had broken me down. I must remember everyday what my purpose in this world is, for even the most devote Christians are tempted by sin. So just as it was before, then again in, I have a daily reminder that I need to work hard to be a better man and that comes in the form of a yellow silicone gel bracelet around my right wrist.

I don’t feel guilty that sometimes it takes life’s major turning points to make us realize that we have gotten off track and we need to realign our priorities. We all get wrapped up in the details of life and while it is not always as severe as the passing of a loved one, frequent reminders of our faith are a good thing. The hope is that the closer you get to walking in God’s footsteps that you need less and less reminders, but I know that I am full of sin. I am thankful for every blessing I have received and while I don’t deserve God’s grace, I now have a reminder with me every day to remember the reasons why I keep asking for it.

Why do I wear a LIVESTRONG bracelet on my right wrist? As a reminder to remember.