Monday, February 7, 2011

Team inov-8 US Biography: Eric Charette



1) Primary sport (s): Trail and ultra running

2) Team member since: 2010

3) City/state of residence: Huntsville, Alabama. Hometown: Kingsford, Michigan

4) Occupation: Professional Electrical Engineer

5) Goals for 2011:

  • Break 4:30 and finish in top 5 at Mountain Mist 50km
  • Break 7 hours and set state age record (7:14:49) Delano 50 mile
  • Break 5:30 and finish in the top 5 at Strolling Jim 40 (41.2 miles)
  • Overall win at Keyes Peak Trail 50km
  • Sub 2:45 at New York City Marathon
6) Notable achievements/memories/PR’s in your sport:

In 2010, I set personal records at 2 mile (10:38), 5km (16:36), ½ Marathon (1:15:32), Marathon (2:43:40) , 50 mile (7:14:16) in 2010. Also I finished in the top 3 places 24 times of 36 total races, including 9 overall wins.

  • 2008 Huntsville Track Club Male Performer of the Year
  • 2009, 2010 Huntsville Track Club Open Male Gran Prix Series Runner Up
  • 2010 Huntsville Track Club Male Admiration Award
  • 2010, 2011 Ultrarunning Team inov-8 US Selection
  • Course Record Delano 50k 3:53:54 March 2009
  • Course Record Bartlett Park 50k 4:07:10 August 2009
  • 2nd fastest known time Alabama Pinhoti Trail 171.3 miles May 2010
  • 6th fastest time ever Dizzy Fifties 50km 3:53:15 November 2009
  • 11th fastest time ever Mount Cheaha 50km 4:54:07 February 2010
  • Course Record Keyes Peak Trail Marathon 3:19:58 June 2010
7) Favorite inov-8 gear: inov-8 x-talon 190 for short distance and inov-8 Roclite 285 for ultra running.

8) List one thing others may not know about you: When telling a story, I often relate it back to a situation from a TV show or movie that I have seen. Recently I was asked what I thought was the secret to life. I thought back to the movie City Slickers, where Billy Crystal says that it is just "one thing" and later goes on to say that it is unique to each person. For me it is a trail run in the fall with my two beagles (Siri and Fiina) when the colors are changing and the temperatures are falling, enjoying the beauty, serenity and simplicity of the wilderness.  There are no problems that can't be worked out in your head when in the solitude of the trails and nothing else matters out there.

9) Favorite energy drink/food: For short distance running I thrive on Honey Stinger gels, especially the Gold and Ginsting (ginseng) flavors. For ultra distance, I found a strange affinity for Vanilla Boost with high protein, along with string cheese. I ate this combination like it was going out of style during the FKT of the Pinhoti Trail in May of 2010.

10) Your favorite race and why? My favorite race is McKay Hollow Madness 25km. This race is held on the trails of Monte Sano State Park and The Huntsville Land Trust in Huntsville, Alabama. The race has four difficult climbs, including the final ascent up Death Trail to the finish. I have always been known as a strong climber so this race and the brutal finish suit my strengths.

11) Advice to other athletes: Never stop dreaming and always believe in yourself.  I am an example of someone with just ordinary abilities who trains very hard and strives to achieve extraordinary results.  I think that it would be an injustice to the sport and others who look up to me if I wasn't out there on every run trying to bust my tail and realize my potential. I am very grateful for the opportunities I have been given and it is my goal to pay it forward.