Saturday, December 4, 2010

2010 Year In Review

As another December comes to a close, its time to look back and reflect on the year that was.

This year was an emotional roller coaster from a personal perspective, as Laura and I decided that it was in our best interest to end our marriage. We realized that we had been growing apart for some time and that we are both good people and deserved to be happy; just that we weren't meant to be happy together. This took its tool on me mentally through the autumn, but now as the year closes, I have moved forward with my life. I am now a much stronger person and am ready to tackle the next phase of my life as I continue to chase my dreams.  I have been given a second chance on life; an opportunity to do things the right way and amend the mistakes of my past and I am ready for the challenge.

Afoot, 2010 was truly a tale of two seasons, starting with a rugged ultra/trail schedule in the first half and a full onslaught of road racing in the second half. The main goal through the spring was the FKT attempt of the 335 mile Pinhoti Trail from Flagg Mountain, Alabama to the Benton Mackaye Trailhead in Georgia with Rob Youngren. Leading into this effort we were logging some serious miles, which took its toll on my body and I was chronically hurt and lost most of my speed. I ran well at Mountain Mist and Mount Cheaha 50km, but unfortunately I fell short of my goals at Pinhoti and managed only a respectable finish of the Alabama section.  Rob went on to conquer the entire trail in impressive fashion. Using this "failure" as motivation, I transitioned toward the late season goal of running under the old qualifying standard for the Boston Marathon, 2 hours and 50 minutes. Aided by a partially torn peroneal tendon which kept me off of trails, I began a 24 week training program for California International Marathon. In the process, I found a new plateau of my speed, managing personal records at distances from 5km to half marathon. During which, I ran possibly my greatest race ever, at any distance, with a 1:15:32 at Life Without Limits Half Marathon in Florence, Alabama, earning 2nd place overall.

I was fortunate enough to run some great races, among some of my favorites were the Lake Antoine Classic 15km, Xterra Monte Sano 5km, Keyes Peak Trail Marathon, Squak Mountain Trail Half Marathon and the Run the Keweenaw Stage Race (pictured below).



My last race of the year turned out to be the best one of my life (blog to come).  I matched up with old my nemesis, the marathon; an event that I had failed to conquer many times before.  On December 5th, I lined up in Folsom and raced the California International Marathon, and, for the first time, came out on top with a 10 minute personal best in a time of 2:43:40.  It was a glorious day in which months of training paid off.



Here are some numbers from the year.

Racing
  • 36 races
  • 9 overall wins (Winter Winds 2M, Spring Zing 5km, Keyes Peak Trail Marathon, Windsor Rodeo 10km, DOXA 5km, Care Center 5km, Xterra Monte Sano 5km, Turkey Trot 5km)
  • 8 times 2nd place
  • 24 times top 3 overall
  • 29 times top place in age group
Personal Bests
  • 2 miles in 10:38 at Winter Winds
  • 5km in 16:36 at Liz Hurley 5km
  • 1/2 Marathon in 1:15:32 at Life Without Limits Half Marathon
  • Marathon in 2:43:40 at California International Marathon
  • 50 miles in 7:14:16 at Delano Park 12 hour (207th fastest time in US in 2010)
Other
  • 2010 Huntsville Track Club Open Male Gran Prix Series Runner Up
  • 2010/2011 Ultrarunning Team inov-8 US Selection
  • 2010 Huntsville Track Club Admiration Award winner
  • 2nd fastest time ever 172 mile Pinhoti Trail (Alabama section) 4 days 5 hours 39 minutes
  • 11th fastest time ever Mount Cheaha 50km 4:54:07
  • Honorable mention Nike Fleet Feet Racing Team athlete of the Month in July, August, September, October, November
  • Nike Fleet Feet Racing Team Athlete of the Month in June
  • 2010 Nike Fleet Feet Racing Team Athlete of the Year

In 2011 I will continue to push toward reaching the upper limits of my abilities and hope that in the process I can inspire other runners to do the same.