Saturday, December 5, 2009

2009 Frosty Freeze 5km

2009 Frosty Freeze 5km
Decatur, AL
December 5, 2009

I decided to run one more short distance race prior to the marathon and use it as a last test of fitness. I also wanted to see if I could break 17 minutes in the 5km, having hit 17:01 twice this fall; Liz Hurley and Turkey Trot. I hadn't been doing any speed work lately, with a severe lack of motivation since Mountain Masochist, so local 5km races were all I have had to test my legs.

I also have this weird quest to run every regional race at least one time and the elusive Frosty Freeze in Decatur was on the *giggle* must-do list.

I had talked with Dink Taylor mid-week and since he had to drive over to Decatur to set up the Fleet Feet tent and Gatorade coolers, we decided to ride together. The plan was for Dink to pick me up at 6:30am at Starbucks on Govenor's Drive in Huntsville on race morning.

Fast forward to Saturday and as I awoke to a puppy (Fiina) licking my face, I looked outside and saw the snow that had been forecast. For once, the local weather man was actually right and over night we had accumulated 1/2" of actual snow. The temperature was in the upper 20's and windy. It would be a very cold race morning.

The drive over to Decatur in Dink's truck (with Fleet Feet trailer) was quite the adventure in and of itself. We witnessed 21 cars that had been in accidents and 2 of them happen in real time, both in front and behind us. All in all, it took us nearly an hour to make the 20 mile drive. I changed in the truck on the way over, so all I would have to do was sign up, pin on my number, go to the bathroom and warm up as much as possible.

We got to the race at 7:35, so I had 25 minutes to go through what usually takes me an hour. I was not stressing over it though, as I tried to remain as calm as possible. After all, there was nothing that I could do about it. We got there safely, which is more than I can say would have happened if I drove myself.

The competition was limited, but fast. Josh Whitehead, Steven Baker, Chris Platt, Jon Elmore and Eric Schotz. The top three were all running faster than me right now at this distance, given recent race results.

My plan was to go out and run as even as possible. I wanted to try to spend my energy evenly over the 3 miles as opposed to going out hard and hanging on, which has been my strategy lately. It would mean that I was going to do it on my own, as the others would go out hard. This would be a tough effort on a cold, windy day run on a hilly course.

After a quick warm up jog around the block, I stripped down to my Fleet Feet Racing Team singlet, shorts and Nike arm sleeves. We lined up, and with a quick call, the race was on. Just as predicted, by the first corner, I was already as far back as 10th place. I resisted the urge to pick up the pace, and ran smoothly and as we came through the first mile I clocked a 5:20. I wanted to be in the range of 5:20 to 5:25, so things were on track. I also had moved up to 5th position, and was closing the gap quickly on a younger kid in front of me.

The second mile was much harder, as the wind began to swirl around and it seemed to always be in our face. Jon Elmore had warned me that there were many turns in the second mile and that the hills began in the this mile also. I can validate his words as I was working much harder to keep the pace near the target range. A few short uphills later, I came through the second mile in 10:57; that meant that my second mile split was 5:37. There was some question later if the first mile was in the right spot or not, but through 2 miles I was right on track to break 17 minutes.

Since the first mile, I had slowly been closing the gap on Steven. He was coming back to me and I was picking it up so the gap was narrowing quickly. Looking back, had we gone on to 4 miles, I probably would have caught and passed him. That said, had we run together, I think that we could have shared the load, took turns setting the pace and breaking the wind, we would both have run faster. I know him, but not that well and not well enough to propose a team effort. We made the final turn and began the long stretch to the north and toward the finish. As fate would have it, the climb to the 3 mile mark was all up hill and I was working very hard to stay in the target range and give myself a chance to kick in for sub 17. I managed to clock a 5:28 for the 3rd mile. I am convinced that because I held back early, I was able to dial the pace in late and run what I needed to.

Coming in from the 3 mile mark, I focused on my leg turnover. I was breathing hard and taking in very chilled 30 degree air which felt like fire in my lungs. I could see the finish line and sped toward it with a purpose. I did have a few seconds where I felt a little weak, like I was running above top speed and that I was going to buckle, which gave me a minor mental lapse. That lapse was all it took to slow me down and as I crossed the line, the clock flipped over to 17:00 minutes. My official time was 17:00.50.

So I am trying to figure out if I am pleasantly surprised, given my lack of speed work, brutally cold conditions and tough course; or if I should be upset for missing my target goal for the third time this fall. I tend to lean toward the former, as it is much more logical, although the later is very true. As I mentioned previously, it is hard to be disappointed when you don't put in the proper training to hit your goal. I am not pleased, but satisfied that I gave it everything I had on this day and my best was seventeen minutes even, and 4th overall.

Afterward, I jogged back on the course and ran in with Jon Elmore. Later I went out on the Steeplechase 8km course with Eric Schotz and had a very nice cool down run.

Thanks to Dink for driving us over and getting us there safely.

So for now, I put aside my short distance goals and begin to focus on distance running for the next two months, including Rocket City Marathon, Fast Ass 50km and eventually Mountain Mist 50km in January.

Frosty Freeze 5k Results Top 4

1 Josh Whitehead
2 Chris Platt
3 Steven Baker
4 Eric Charette