Saturday, July 19, 2008

2008 Twilight 5k

Twilight 5k Run
Huntsville, AL
July 19, 2008
Official Results




I started this day off at 4am with a ride to Florence for the Da Doo Run Run 5k with Joey Butler. I basically ran one of the races of my life in cutting 18 seconds off of my 5k PR and lowering the mark to 17:31. I ran a smart and strategic race, giving it everything I had and laying it all out on the line, even taking over the lead late in the race before finishing 3rd.

After a delayed awards ceremony so the local WC Handy band could play, we didn't end up getting home until after noon. I took a nap for several hours and basically took it easy all afternoon. But by 4:45, it was time to head out to the race. The race began at 6:30 pm, which would be just over 10 hours from the end of the last race.

The Twilight Run has separate men's and women's races, with the men running at 6:30 and the women running at 7:15. For late July in Alabama, the temperatures were no surprise, topping 95 degrees at race time.

There was some good competition lined up, including many familiar fast faces of runners from age 15 to 58. From the looks of it, if I could hold it together on dead legs, I would have a great shot to be in the top 10.

Mile 1
02:45.68 + 02:41.72 = 05:27.40

In this mile we started out running uphill and quickly we fell into line near the crest. I was running behind about 8 runners. I decided to push the pace early and see if I could just hold on toward the end. This course would have a hill climb in the final mile, so I wanted to put something in the bank early. I passed Jon Elmore and Marty Clarke and started running the top 4 runners. In the pack was the prerace favorite, Brad Schroeder. In the first mile he was maybe 3rd or 4th but would lay back and strike late. In this mile I felt pretty good, especially as we cruised down the hill and toward the first mile mark. I was very surprised when we clocked 5:27.40. This is my fastest mile ever in a 5k.

Mile 2
02:49.13 + 03:00.34 = 05:49.47

This mile would involve the last part of the out and then around a cone to start heading back. I continued to feel good through the straight away section, passing the water stop and pushing on. I was running at 5:40 pace through the first half of this mile. Somewhere just before the cone, the fatigue really started to set in. The fast miles from the early morning race were now being felt in my calves. I made the turn and saw how close Jon and Marty were to me. I told Jon that I was done, and felt him start to close the gap. I was still pushing as hard as I could, but I just didn't have that much to give. I really thought that he was going to pass me, but was we made it back toward the 2 mile mark, he was still behind me. The second half of the mile was run at 6 minute pace.

Mile 3
02:59.33 + 02:55.50 = 05:54.83

In the last mile my plan was just to run steady and pick it up in the last few hundred meters. The runner ahead of me was pretty far ahead so I knew that I wasn't going to crack the top 4, but I could hold on and finish a very respectable 5th place. I slowed slightly on the uphill climb and made the last corner toward the finish. I took a quick look behind and could not see Jon or Marty. I assumed that they were there, I just couldn't see them in the very quick glance. I wasn't about to slow down just because I felt secure in my spot. Based on recent experience, I know what it is liked to get overtaken at the end when underestimating the competition. I don't have much of a kick, so I have to make up as much time as I can during the first 3 miles. I ran the tangent across the road as the way would wind through a few curves toward the finish. The heat was still brutal, as the temperature was still in the low to mid 90's. The sun was low in the sky and the haze was bearing down, making the conditions very tough to stay focused.

Mile 0.107
00:40.32

I could see Laura yelling to me as I made the final corner and could see the finish. This is where all of the women were at, waiting for their race. This is also where all of the 'fans' were at, providing a little lift in the home stretch. Despite struggling in the last 1.5 miles, I pulled enough together to finish strong. My final time was 17:52.02 or 05:45.03 pace. I finished in 5th place of 143 runners and 1st in M30-34. Up until this morning, this would be just the 3rd time I had ever broken 18 in a 5k race and before late June, this would have been a new personal record. I had gone out hard as planned, built some time up, then held on late when the impact of the weather really was tough and my dead legs started to give way on me.

This was also a fairly competitive race, with the top 15 runners going under 20, the top 7 breaking 19 and the top 5 breaking 18. Brad did 'run' away with the race, clocking a 16:25 and crushing the rest of the field. He is impressive and has many great races to run in this town.

On Thursday, I dared any of my Facebook friends to run a faster combined 5k+5k time than me in two races in less than 12 hours. My combined time was 17:31.22 + 17:52.02 for 35:23.24. Not bad for a single day's work!